Thursday, March 7, 2024

First Line Friday #171


First Line Friday is a weekly feature and simple to do - grab the book nearest you and post the first line. Carrie hosts this over on her blog Reading is my Superpower.


This book comes with no apology. I am not here to convince you that it is high time we put women back at the centre of history. Many have done this before me. I am also not here to draw dividing lines between male and female, to stress the importance of each in opposition to each other. Instead, I want to show you that there are so many ways to approach history now. Far from being unrecoverable, developments in archaeology, advancements in technology and an openness to new angles have made medieval women ripe for rediscovery.

Happy Reading!
Sarah

6 comments:

  1. On my Wish List. Looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and my First Line:

      "There are many myths about national populism. From the US to Europe, national-populist movements are seen as the refuge for irrational bigots, jobless losers, Rust Belt rejects, voters who were hit hard by the Great Recession and angry old white men who will soon die and be replaced by tolerant Millennials."

      'National Populism - The Revolt Against Liberal Democracy' by Roger Eatwell and Matthew Goodwin

      Delete
    2. I will be getting to it this week. I am on spring break but Eleanor's isn't for another three weeks so I should get a ton read/reviewed.

      Delete
    3. If only this were true. I really hope that this is what comes to pass, and that angry old white men won't be in office or making any decisions about our government. Unfortunately those are going to be our only choices yet again and it is fucking infuriating.

      Delete
  2. Well, that is an intriguing beginning.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!