Thursday, December 19, 2019

First Line Friday #86


First Line Friday is brought to you by Hoarding Books. Playing along is easy: open the book nearest you and share the first line. Then check out the link to see the other first lines offered up this week.

26959786. sy475

"Although I didn't realize it, my troubles began when we moved to Portman Street, and I became a student at the Pearce Academy for Girls, the finest school in the town of Mount Pleasant, according to Father."

The last month and a half I have been sharing lines from the books of Mary Downing Hahn, one of my most favorite childhood authors. Around Halloween I went on a MDH binge after finding her newest book at our school book fair during conferences. I requested a bunch of her books from the library that I hadn't read, due to them being published while I was in college (or later).

Almost done now, just one more to go for the last First Line Friday of 2019 and I am saving the best for last, my most fave of all of Hahn's books. If you are familiar with her work, it will be pretty easy to guess which one is coming up next week.

Leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Happy Reading,
Sarah

8 comments:

  1. Today, I'm sharing from Love You, Truly by Susan L. Tuttle: https://christianfictiongirl.blog/2019/12/19/first-line-friday-115/. It's such a good book!!! Currently, I'm just starting Isaiah's Legacy by Mesu Andrews, so I'll post a line from there:

    "I hated weeding the garden alone, but I'd rather Abba copy his scrolls inside than bear our neighbor's cutting remarks."

    Hope you have a great weekend and a blessed Christmas! 😊❤📖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your line Nicole, I hope you have a joyous Christmas and quality time with your family this season <3

      Delete
  2. Today I will start reading The Two Faces of January by Patricia Highsmith, published in 1964: "At half past three of a morning in early January, Chester MacFarland was awakened in his berth on the San Gimignano by an alarming sound of scraping."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday! Today, I'm sharing the first line from Synapse by Steven James: "You do not hear your baby cry."

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2019/12/first-line-fridays-synapse-by-steven.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first line is from Seconds to Live by Susan Sleeman:
    One Mistake. That was all it took to put Dustee’s life on the line-death right on her heels.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!