Thursday, December 26, 2019

First Line Friday #87


First Line Friday is brought to you by Hoarding Books. Playing along is easy: open the book nearest you and share the first line. Then check out the link to see the other first lines offered up this week.

Last MDH!

267972. sx318  Wait Till Helen Comes: A Ghost Story

"You've bought a church?"

Of all her mystery/ghostly stories, this is the one I will always love best. Have you read it?

The first cover is the one I read as a child, the second is the cover of the library copy I checked out recently.

The last month and a half I have been sharing lines from the books of Mary Downing Hahn, one of my most favorite childhood authors. Around Halloween I went on a MDH binge after finding her newest book at our school book fair during conferences. I requested a bunch of her books from the library that I hadn't read, due to them being published while I was in college (or later).

Leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Happy Reading,
Sarah

12 comments:

  1. Happy holidays!

    Today on my blog I'm sharing the first few lines from The Perfect Christmas by Bell Renshaw: https://christianfictiongirl.blog/2019/12/26/first-line-friday-116/. I'm currently reading Veiled in Smoke by Jocelyn Green so I'll share a line from there.

    "It was a lie, Meg had realized years ago, that the end of the war meant the end of suffering."

    Hope you have an excellent weekend filled with awesome reading time. 😊❤📖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas Nicole, thanks for sharing your line. Happy New year!

      Delete
  2. That first cover looks like a book i would have picked up as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "On the morning of Sunday 3 September 1939, at bases all over Britain, ground and air crews stood by for the announcement that after many false alarms they were finally to be launched into battle."

    Bomber Boys: Fighting Back 1940-1945 by Patrick Bishop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Military history in general is not usually interesting to me, but specifics aspects of it like this are interesting. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
    2. In my callow youth I was most interested in the battles, the technology and the tactics. I've moved on since then and find the politics, logistics and economics of the whole thing much more interesting - essentially how wars change societies. This one skips over my favourite part a bit quickly and is generally sobering as it talks a great deal of the sacrifices of the aircrew and the results of the bombing on German civilians. Definitely not one for the easily upset!

      Delete
    3. I will probably still pass on this one then, as I still get easily upset when it comes to WWII.

      Delete
  4. This week on my blog I shared the first line from Isaiah's Daughter by Mesu Andrews but I'm currently reading Veiled in Smoke by Jocelyn Green so I'll share the first line from my current chapter (18) here: "Dust clouded Nate's steps as he sloughed through a southwest section of the burned district." Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your line, hope you had a Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. Today I'm sharing the first line from A Silver Willow by the Shore by Kelli Stuart: "I know when someone's holding a secret." Have a great rest of the weekend!

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2019/12/first-line-fridays-silver-willow-by.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!