Friday, December 6, 2019

Book Review | Becoming

38746485

Rating: 5 Stars

This will not be long. I adore Michelle Obama. The end.

Just kidding, sort of.

Michelle Obama is the epitome of grace, strength, class, and intelligence. She carried herself with dignity despite the virulent attacks on both herself and her husband while in the White House, and continues to do so in the wake of the mess we are currently dealing with. I can't imagine having to live day in and day out, knowing there were people out there who had burned effigies of your husband, had spread racist birther bullshit, who essentially wanted to shut your husband up forever. Yet President and First Lady Obama constantly rose above it all.

I enjoyed the book immensely, especially learning more of her early years, which nicely filled in the gaps where my knowledge was lacking. I especially enjoyed seeing how her relationship with her future-husband started, and I did not realize they actually met at the law firm Mrs. Obama was working for when she was assigned to mentor President Obama. Seeing that relationship go from working together, to dating, to marriage was very sweet and one of my favorite parts of the book.

I definitely cried a while around page 280 when President Obama won the '08 election. It brought back immense feelings of pride, knowing that his presidency was groundbreaking in so many ways. It gave hope to me as a teacher, who at the time taught in a classroom that was predominantly African-American, that my babies who I loved so much could see for themselves, they could truly do and be anything they set their mind too.

By page 342 I was turning into a hot mess again, for two reasons:
1) Before that, I had not known I could love Michele Obama any more than I already did
2) The book was coming to an end and I would soon be thrust back into reality.

So, here we are.

Michelle Obama is truly an inspiration. Highly, highly recommended.

12 comments:

  1. There was an interview with her recently in a magazine I read and I enjoyed that so much. I put Becoming on my TBR right after that :) I totally agree; Very inspirational person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fantastic, and my little ol' review doesn't even do the book justice in any kind of way. I am glad you have it on your TBR, it is so worth the time!

      Delete
  2. I agree that she is an inspiring example of grace and strength under pressure. I can't even begin to imagine the hurt that the racist attacks against her and her family must cause and yet she never faltered, never flinched from comporting herself with dignity and kindness. She and all of the Obamas are greatly missed in our public life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So SO deeply missed. I am glad that President Obama weighs in on issues from time to time, while still being diplomatic. That sense of normalcy is so very helpful when things are so out of control.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful review, Sarah! I felt exactly as you did when I read it. I am happy for you that you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind Judy! The whole time I was writing it, I kept thinking how the book deserved a much better review than what I was writing, but it was just such a good book that nothing I said could convey that as well as I would have liked. Either way, hooray for Michelle Obama!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad that you rated this book so highly, Sarah. I've been waiting to get it. I know that Michelle also narrates the audible version so I might save my credit to get it.
    It's such a shame the Obama's couldn't stay in office for longer - do you think they'd consider coming to the UK and becoming MPs here? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would highly suggest getting the Audible to hear her narrate. She is absolutely amazing and it would definitely add an extra layer of awesome to hear her story, spoke by the lady herself. Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read Becoming yet because the book was absolutely everywhere when it first came out and I prefer to let hype fade on bestsellers! I am still a bit irritated by the cover pic though - Michelle Obama was the First Lady yet she's still having to flash flesh? I don't see Barack similarly deshabille!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fantastic read, I do hope you get the chance to read or listen. Michelle narrates the audio version, and I have heard from several friends that it is amazing.

      I honestly did not even notice her sleeve was off the shoulder until you said something about it. As I looked at the photo, I wondered very briefly if it was a bit of trolling she was doing to those who were freaking out about that time she wore a sleeveless top. I seriously doubt it, but maybe ;)

      Delete
  6. I'm definitely curious about this one and have been for a while. She just radiates calm dignity and intelligence which I love about her and learning more would be wondeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get the chance to read it - or listen. She narrates the audio version and so many people have told me how great that experience was. You seriously can't go wrong either way. She is everything a FLOTUS, and good human being, should be.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!