Thursday, April 2, 2020

Books From The Backlog #40



Books from the Backlog, hosted by Carole's Random Life in Books, is a fun way to feature some of those neglected books sitting on your shelf unread.

I am featuring books in the order that they were added to my Goodreads To-Read shelf, so sometimes there will be a couple weeks in a row of books on the same topic.

Neglected Book of the Week
6297739. sy475

Why did I add The Inheritance of Rome: Illuminating the Dark Ages 400-1000 to my TBR?

Because the Dark Ages weren't really all that dark, so let's stop using that phrase, okay?

Have you read this book, or is it somewhere on your TBR? If you've read it, would you recommend it to others?

Happy Reading!
Sarah

12 comments:

  1. I would definitely read it. I enjoy historical fiction from that time period and even earlier since its not as prolific. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is such an interesting period because so much was still happening, even with Rome's fall.

      Delete
  2. This one sounds good! Love books that give the medieval period its due.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, especially those early middle ages. So much was still happening, especially in Ireland, to save literacy and culture. The Book of Kells is from that period and is STUNNING. Can't say there is anything dark about that.

      Delete
  3. This definitely sounds interesting. I do hope you enjoy it, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wonder why they called them the dark ages
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After Rome fell, historians basically thought that for a very long time there was no cultural or scientific advancement. Turns out the Irish basically saved civilization and so much was being produced by monasteries across Ireland. Not only there, but a significant amount. The Book of Kells is one of many amazing manuscripts to be produced in that time. It is beautiful.

      Delete
  5. This sounds fascinating! Such an interesting time period. I hope you enjoy it when you read it! Have a good weekend and stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! So much was going on and I am happy that scholarship has changed so much, that we are now understanding just how much was still surviving and thriving in those periods.

      Delete
  6. I agree with all the other comments. It sounds great. One of my favorite books about the "dark ages" was How the Irish Saved Civilization.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!