I began this book last week and would love to have discussions based on the prompts provided within the book. The book is set up so that after each day's reading, there are a handful of prompts to respond to. Feel free to respond to as many or as few as you like. I would love for this to be a discussion and a place where we can learn and grow together. Please be honest, because that is the only way anything will change.
Additionally, I have been compiling a list of books under the #BlackLivesMatter Reading List tab. I am usually adding books daily that I find, or are recommended by others. Please leave a comment on that page if you have titles to add. I hope you can find titles on this list that you will learn from as well.
Day Sixteen Prompts
Allyship - an active, consistent, and challenging practice of unlearning and reevaluating, in which a person of privilege seeks to work in solidarity with a marginalized group (definition given at 49%)
White centering - the centering of white people, white values, white norms, and white feelings over everything and everyone else (definition at 54%)
1. How is your worldview a white-centered one?
2. How have you reacted when whiteness or you as a white person are not centered in spaces and conversations?
3. How have you judged BIPOC when they do not measure up to white-centered standards?
4. How have you centered yourself as a person with white privilege in nonwhite spaces and conversations?
5. What are you beginning to understand about how white centering affects BIPOC?