Sunday, July 26, 2020

Book Talk Summary: Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad

46002342

First off, thank you to everyone who participated in the discussions from the book over the last twenty eight days. I love that discussions occurred here, as well as via Twitter, Facebook, and even over the phone.

These are heavy, uncomfortable topics. But, they are also massively important topics. If we want to be allies to our BIPOC Sisters and Brothers, we must confront all aspects of white supremacy and tear it down.

There are several posts I have not yet added my answers to, and I confess that sometimes it is exhausting to think about - truly think about and figure out how to do better and be better. But I remind myself that if this is all exhausting to THINK about, how absolutely awful must it be to LIVE with the consequences of white supremacy as part of your daily life as a BIPOC?

I will be adding my own answers to those posts where I have not done so yet and I hope we can continue to have these conversations. I have learned from others already, and I hope to continue to do so.

Here is the link to all 28 days' worth of posts for you to peruse and mull over, and I look forward to continuing these important conversations with you.

In solidarity,
Sarah

10 comments:

  1. I am going to go get this book RIGHT NOW!!
    I also am looking forward to looking further into your blog and sharing it with friends and family members. Thanks Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly so good, I want a physical copy for myself as well, because there was so much I wanted to highlight and underline but I only had a Kindle copy that I got from the library. I am excited for you to join the discussions, there are have been some great thoughts and hard truths we are all realizing about ourselves. It's tough, but so worth it.

      Delete
  2. i think it's great that you are sharing and keeping current events....current.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is my intention to keep the spotlight on these issues. So many times after a Black man or woman died at the hands of an officer, after a few weeks or a month, things 'went back to normal'. If one good thing can come from the murder of George Floyd and COVID-19, it is that we had no choice but to stare this issue of systemic racism directly in the eye; we were at home, had no distractions, no more excuses to turn away. Being at protests for the last few months, this time around feels so different, the energy feels different. I know in my heart and keep praying that real change will come from this. Thanks for coming along.

      Delete
  3. This is an important discussion which you have led over the past month and I'm glad to see that this book is being widely read. It is an uncomfortable topic for many which is even more reason that we face it and explore it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I have discovered things about myself that I do not particularly care for, but the only way I know those thoughts is because this book made me confront them. I have seen so many friends dive into this book and it makes me so happy. I hope you will come back around to join the discussions again when I get some of my answers posted. Thanks for coming along!

      Delete
  4. Always good to mull over a response when it's an important topic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I don't want people to think I just want everyone else to talk, and that I am ignoring my own racism! Sometimes it is hard to articulate what I am trying to say, and I need to stop thinking so hard and just let the words come out, and deal with it right along with everyone else. It is uncomfortable but SO necessary. I hope you will revisit some of the posts when I get my answers up. Thanks for coming along!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing all of this. It was great to stop in and have that dedicated reflection time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for joining in! I always appreciated your thoughtful responses and reflections. I will still be going back to add in my own thoughts, I hope you will have time to come back around. Some of these questions are so hard to confront, but we have to. Otherwise, we don't do better when we don't know better. Thanks for coming along!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!