Thursday, July 30, 2020

First Line Friday #119


First Line Friday is brought to you by Hoarding Books. Playing along is easy: open the book nearest you and share the first line. Then check out the link to see the other first lines posted this week.

***You might have noticed an increase in recent weeks of books written by Black and African-American authors in a variety of genres. Since the murder of George Floyd and the spotlight once again shining on the mistreatment of our Black Brothers and Sisters, I am working on amplifying voices that often get shouted down. I have started a #BlackLivesMatter Reading List and would love any suggestions over on that page. My main contributions so far have been of non-fiction, big surprise, so I am looking for fiction especially.***

38740689

"Nothing could be seen on the empty streets of Columbus, Georgia, during the early spring nights of 1868, except what the moon might faintly illuminate."

Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and leave a link to your FLF so I can stop by to see what you've posted this week.

Happy Reading!
Sarah

16 comments:

  1. This one sounds like a book full of shocking facts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely did not know this bit of history, definitely worth the read!

      Delete
  2. My first line is from Acceptable Risk by Lynette Eason

    Chapter 2
    September. Helmed Province, Afghanistan

    Sarah Denning sat on the dirt floor of the Afghani prison cell and shivered in the hinety-degree heat, fighting the fear that had been her constant companion since the Taliban had attacked the school yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds really interesting! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting indeed, so much I did not know before. Happy Reading!

      Delete
  4. I'm currently reading The London Restoration by Rachel McMillan. I'm just beginning chapter 10, so I'll share from there:
    "The only other time Diana had been at Brent's flat -her flat- in Clerkenwell alone was when she was packing her suitcase to leave for Buckinghamshire."
    I hope you have a great weekend! 😀❤📚

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yours sounds sufficiently serious!
    "Kinja was the name of the island when it was British." Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Begin at the end: plummeting down the side of the ship in the storm's wild darkness, breath gone with the shock of falling, my camera flying away through the rain -" The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Friday!

    Over on my blog I am sharing the first line from Chautona Havigs' Dual Power of Convenience.
    "This isn't what I had in mind when I decided to open an mobile bookstore!"

    https://www.musingsofasassybookishmama.com/2020/07/first-line-fridays-dual-power-of.html

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "We seem to have a fascination for the Apocalypse, the end of all things. It's not that we welcome it, least I hope not, but it seems that we can't help wondering about it, even predicting it."

    The Mammoth Book of the End of the World edited by Mike Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely true - and it drives us mad that it is something we can not predict!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!