Thursday, June 25, 2020

First Line Friday #114


First Line Friday is brought to you by Hoarding Books. Playing along is easy: open the book nearest you and share the first line. Then check out the link to see the other first lines posted this week.

31247034. sx318

"Two stable houses, side by side."

So begins the story of the two buildings that would eventually become one as the Stonewall Inn. Being that this is the last Friday of Pride Month, I thought it was a fitting selection - especially as the 51st anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising is just two days away. This is a fantastic picture book that tells the story not just of the Uprising but also Greenwich Village, where everyone was welcome. The story is told from the perspective of the building itself in an age-appropriate way for young readers. Would absolutely have this in my classroom if I still had my own room, and it will definitely have a place in Eleanor's library. The story does lack in the department of recognizing trans women of color among the leaders of the movement, but is still a good place to start.

You can read my review HERE.

Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and leave a link to your FLF so I can stop by to see what you've posted this week.

Happy Reading!
Sarah

14 comments:

  1. My first line is from A RECKLESS LOVE by Beth White
    Prologue: April 22, 1865 North of Memphis, Tennessee

    Zane’s first thought when he came to was that the world was coming to an end.

    Great ending to the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday! 🙂
    Today, I'm sharing the first line from Line by Line by Jennifer Delamere. I'm currently reading The Woman in the Green Dress by Tea Cooper, so I'll share a line from there:
    "Stefan pushed open the doors to the Berkeley deep in thought."
    Hope you have an excellent weekend! 🙂❤📚

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a GREAT book! Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really fantastic! A few issues, but those can be dealt with.

      Delete
  4. Happy Friday!
    Over on my blog I shared the first line from The Rose of Winslow Street by Elizabeth Camden
    "The stately houses of Winslow Street looked utterly safe and respectable in the hot summer evening. Mikhail knew all that was about to change."
    https://www.musingsofasassybookishmama.com/2020/06/first-line-friday-rose-of-winslow-street.html
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've starting paying more attention to the first lines in books, and making a note whenever one is particularly good or interesting. It's amazing what authors can cram into a single sentence. :)

    Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear? 💬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Participating in these meme has really made me do the same. I am always looking for the next great first line to share.

      Delete
  6. "I'm a few years old. I'm sitting on the windowsill, surrounded by strewn toys and toppled over block towers and dolls with bulging eyes." From Flights by Nobel Prize winner and Polish author Olga Tokarczuk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "In Parliament Square in London, Big Ben struck a quarter past eleven. Just a short distance away, Lieutenant 'Gus' Agar RN was becoming increasingly uneasy. He had been standing for some time in front of the large oak desk in an attic room just off Whitehall watching a thickset elderly man in civilian clothes read through an official-looking file of papers. The old man had not even acknowledged his presence yet and Gus had no idea why he had been summoned so urgently from his weekend leave that morning in May 1919."

    Operation Kronstadt by Harry Ferguson.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!