Thursday, May 14, 2020

Book Tag | Behind the Blogger


I was tagged by Ashlee at Books Are 42 - thank you, Ashlee! - to participate in a Book Tag last week and am just now getting to it because of so many meetings and lots of paperwork as the end of the school year comes to a close. In fact, I am taking a brain break from all the paperwork and doing this now, then it is back into the trenches.

This time things are a little different, in that we all have the same questions to answer and no one has to think up new ones. If I tag you feel free to play along or not. Just leave a comment with your answers, or create your own post. Whatever you feel like doing.

Rules
1. Thank the person who nominated you
2. Answer the questions below
3. Pingback to the creator: Ellyn @ Allonsythornaxx
4. Nominate 5+ bloggers you'd like to know more about, to do the tag

Here we go!

Why did you start blogging? Why have you kept blogging?
This is not my first blog, but it is the one that matters most to me. I started this one in 2015 because of some things going on over at our fave book-cataloging site, where reviews were sometimes removed without a warning to the reviewer. I decided it was time to have a back-up for those reviews, but naturally this became the only place I actually post my full reviews (aside from NetGalley).

I got super serious about blogging, gaining a wider audience, and in general building up blogger friendships a couple years ago when I was in a super stressful teaching position. I would leave school absolutely in tears some days, and my two stress-relievers are my daughter and reading. But the munchkin has to go to bed at a decent hour, so I was left with a couple hours on my hands each night and my book blog became a place where I could forget about that stressful job for a while.

I continue to blog because I have made some great book-loving friends and I value those friendships even though we do not know each other out there in the "real world". I am in a new teaching position, something for which I am forever grateful. Even so, I love blogging about books I love and loathe and that's another reason I keep reading and reviewing.

What is your favorite type of blog post to write?
I am partial to posts about lists of books and bookish things. Top Ten Tuesdays, formerly hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, now hosted by Jana over at That Artsy Reader Girl is one favorite - though I have to change things up sometimes in regards to the topic for the week when it doesn't fit well with non-fiction (my primary reads).

I also really love State of the ARC, which was created by Evelina at Avalinah's Books. I am temporarily hosting it for her, which is a huge honor. It is really fun each month to list all my ARCs, move them around, and see how much progress I made (or didn't). It is also a good way to bond with other bloggers, for those of us who have serious ARC addictions.

What are your top three favorite blog posts you wrote?
Oh gosh, this is tough! At least, thinking of three will be tough. if you have been around a while you already know of my undying adoration for the coolest historian ever...




What are some of your favorite things to do to relax?
Hanging out with my daughter is always number one. I know people will say I am biased because I am her mom, but she is just the most amazing little human. I love how curious she is, and how she wants to know everything about everything. During this homeschool thing, she has started five different projects on her own - a picture/fact book about dragons, a picture/facts book about Titanic, a poster board project about Mount Everest, a long-ass-butcher-paper-scale-model-drawing of the solar system, and a project about September 11 with an as-yet undecided medium of delivery. I should probably mention, she is still six. She loves science experiments and dance (ballet, tap, hip-hop), and currently reads at a 4th grade level. She's pretty neat, if I do say so myself.

What are three of your favorite things?
1. My set of Dan Jones-autographed books
2. My big cozy blanket my momma made me over ten years ago, that I refuse to ever share with anyone because it is MINE (can't help it, I am an only child. I struggle to share sometimes)
3. My library card

What are your proudest blogging moments?
Another Eleanor-related story because believe it or not, my life actually revolves around her and not books! Last summer she started taking an interest in my blog and the reviewing aspect. She wanted to write reviews too, so I started keeping track of the chapter books we read together, and then she gets to type up something on Goodreads about the book. I also feature her as my fave guest-blogger, and have posted her reviews, as well as some of her readings of her favorite books.

Also, it is always neat when you reach certain milestones. I blog here, but also have my Facebook page. I used to post reviews there too, but it is not really set up for that, so instead I post links to my blog here, and post articles about topics I find of interest, usually related to what I like to read about. So, it was really cool to get a certain amount of followers here or there, and actual interactions and bookish discussions. Yet somehow I managed to overlook my five-year anniversary this year - in February. Oops.

Another proud moment was when authors and publishers started reaching out to me for reviews. Being active on NetGalley and Goodreads really helped this, because that is usually how they find me. Now I get emails regularly about books that might be of interest (and usually are) but getting PHYSICAL COPIES is THE BEST.

What are your hobbies outside of blogging?
Truthfully, I don't really have any. Being a mom is my number one job, teaching is my second. Reading, reviewing, blogging, and writing are what I do when I have a couple hours to myself.

Describe your personality in three words.
Even though I can't stand Harry Potter, I understand that I am a Ravenclaw, whatever that means. Actually I do know what it means, since I took the sorting quiz at my daughter's request. So, yeah, Ravenclaw. I'd personally say that I am stubborn, sometimes abrasive, and fiercely loyal to those who have earned it.

What are your top three pet peeves?
1. Lying liars who lie
2. Misuse of their/there/there, two/too/to, etc.
3. Authors who fail to remember that reviews are for READERS

What is something your followers don't know about you?
I love playing Kim Kardashian: Hollywood on my phone.

I tag:

Greg @ Book Haven

CyberKitten @ Seeking a Little Truth

Stephen @ Reading Freely

Stephanie @ Literary Flits


MudPuddle @ Mudpuddlesoup

Sherry @ Fundinmental


Ethan @ A Book A Week

Evelina @ Avalinah's Books 

Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear?

...and anyone else who wants to join in, feel free!

Happy Reading!
Sarah

10 comments:

  1. um... #1: retired and love books and it seemed the thing to do...
    #2: books that most haven't heard about and seem important (to me, anyhow, haha)
    #3: can't recall of of them, but the series about Alastair's trip around the world was intriguing
    #4: Xword puzzles, bike riding, working on bikes, reading, not in that order
    #5: objects? guitar, bike, book collection (around 2500)
    #6: the first one i did that actually printed and posted
    #7: same as #4
    #8: what, me worry? (alfred e. neuman)
    #9: politics, capitalism, intolerance
    #10: i can't do math very well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for playing along! I can't do math very well either. And my mom is really good at it, so between teachers explaining things one way and her explaining them another...I got twice as lost! I really enjoyed Alistair's trip as well. You brought his adventures to life.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! You're killing it with tags. And that's an excellent reason for blogging. For me it's largely the same- a nice break from the real world (which, let's face it, sucks increasingly more these days) and the book blogger friendships are another reason.

    Your daughter sounds amazing. Good for you guys. :) And yes physical copies are the best!!! I love my Kindle but physical books can't be beat.

    Thanks for tagging me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - and you're welcome! Ashlee has some really great tags each Thursday. Coming up with new questions is the hard part for me. This one was so much easier because it was all about us as people. I have built some great friendships and that is the most important part!

      Delete
  3. Aww, it’s cool that your daughter is interested in books and blogging. I hope my niece turns out to be a bookworm. It’s lonely being the only person in my family who reads.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are welcome to be part of our book family then, because all we do is read! And do science experiments, but that is a whole other post! It was neat to see her take an interest in it, especially because she was only five at the time. Plus, I have a built-in guest blogger whenever she wants to post something!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed your answers. Your daughter is an amazing little girl!

    I started my blog because I started getting books from NetGalley and wanted a blog to link to. I just posted reviews without actually being active in the blogging community for long time. I was more active on Goodreads before they made a bunch of changes to the site. I like all of the posts that I have on my blog (for the most part). I do like gathering data for my monthly wraps ups though. I don't think that I have a favorite blog post since there have been a lot over the years. I read to relax and get crabby if I don't have a bit of time to read everyday. I guess my proudest blogging moment would be deciding to post Books from the Backlog and turning it into a weekly meme since it was well-received. It's fun to dig through my shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole! I am glad other people think so, when I say it is just sounds like bragging :) I was the same way, not blogging but posting on Goodreads. I am very glad you started Books from the Backlog, it has been so helpful to me and so many others!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the tag - and the State of the ARC mention! :) I have the same spelling pet peeve xD also it's awesome you post every review here! I post on my blog rarely, and I actually read way more than that. I just post my reviews on Goodreads for books that I didn't care too much about - it's so much less work. I am such a perfectionist about blog posts that it takes me a while to write every single one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I do try to review everything, good or bad. I want my readers to know that I am being honest about what I think, and having all four and five star reviews doesn't really do that, I don't think anyway. And I get the perfectionist thing as well - it usually takes me a couple hours to write a review post. I think the longest it has taken me if five hours. Crazy, right?!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my little book nook. I love talking books so leave a comment and let's chat!